January is "walk your pet month" so in honor our crew has compiled tips for successfully walking your dog! Listen up, the first tips are directed towards you, the owners!
- Remind yourself how much more your dog will love you after a good walk.
- Was your new year resolution to get fit? Well, walking the dog is a great first step.
- You can have an excuse to go explore a new place. Who doesn't love a little adventure.
- Invite a friend, walking your dog in a park is a safe way to have some socially distant fun and bonding time with your two best buds.
The second part of our list is to help you have a better time while on the walk!
- Does your dog pull? Try using a front clip harness. They are specially designed to correct pulling by redirecting the dogs body around.
- Throughout the walk let your dog sniff around. Dogs sniffing around is an excellent way for them to feel stimulated.
- Stay away from retractable leashes! They offer limited control and have even been the source of severe rope burns.
- Ask approaching dogs/parents if it is ok to have a meet and greet. Not all dogs and dog parents want to play or be greeted on a walk. Ask first!
- Pick up your dogs poo! This one should be easy, but is overlooked and ignored more times than we can count. Common people... it's nasty and unhealthy!
- Keep the treats handy. Dog walks are a great place to work on training and lots of dogs are motivated by those yummy treats!
- Make sure to bring water for you and your pup. Always stay hydrated even in cooler month dogs can get dehydrated on a longer walks.