CBD For Pets - a growing trend
Many people think of their pet as their children. If you notice something is off with your child, you pick up your phone and start to google their symptoms. Same with your pet. Nine times out of ten the answer you come up with indicates that your child or pet has some unknown disease that started somewhere in South Africa and the end result is either cancer or the need of medication. What if we told you there is an alternative way around the need of medication? That's where CBD comes in to play. CBD is on a rise not just in humans but also in pets. You may be asking yourself what exactly is CBD and how can it benefit my pet? We are here to inform you more about CBD, its benefits and also to hear from some of The Ark customers and their experience with CBD.
What is CBD
What is CBD? CBD or cannabidiol, is a compound found in cannabis, the plant we often associate with marijuana. Cannabidiol is one of over 113 "cannabinoids" that is found in the cannabis plant. It is important to note that CBD has no known toxicity level, so it is incapable of causing an overdose and will not get your pet "high". Unlike THC, the main psychoactive compound in marijuana, CBD is completely non-psychoactive and safe to be used on pets. Most CBD found in cannabis pet supplements is usually sourced from hemp, a variety of cannabis that naturally contains extremely low concentrations of THC.
Symptoms & customer experience
We asked several of our customers about their experience with CBD products, what symptoms their dog experienced before the CBD and how their symptoms ease up after the use of CBD.
Jared Digby said that their dog Quyn was born with hip dysplasia. Because of this, she had an increasing level of pain and discomfort as she's aged. It was hard for the Digby family to watch Quyn limp around and whimper from the pain and so they turned to CBD to avoid prescription medications that can be tough on a dog's liver and kidneys. After a proper dose of CBD, they noticed that Quyn's external symptoms were less pronounced. For example, she could maintain activity for a longer period of time and was limping less after that activity.
Another customer Pat Ferguson is an avid user of the Whole Pet CBD oil pens. Her reason for use? X-rays showed that her dog Duffy has arthritis in his joints, hips and back. Duffy also showed aggression if he was touched where he hurt. After the use of the oil pens, Pat says he is much more relaxed, runs without pain and is not longer aggressive when petted in an area of pain.
how CBD interacts with the body
Why do symptoms ease with the use of CBD? CBD interacts with the body via the endocannabinoid system, or ECS. The ECS is a biological system found in all mammals and is involved in managing a wide variety of biological processes, including memory, sleep, immune response and more. The ECS consists of two types of camabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2. These receptors are build to interact with cannabinoids that are naturally produced by the brain. They can also interact with plant-derived cannabinoids like CBD. The effects of CBD are similar in humans, dogs, cats and other pets. Just like humans, dogs and cats also have endocannabinoid system that functions much like the human ECS.
Benefits of CBD
There are several benefits of using CBD. After doing reseals we have found that these are the top 7 most common CBD benefits for dogs.
- Powerful Painkiller - Studies show that CBD can help manage pain in many different ways. Thus, making it renowned for its painkilling properties.
- Anticonvulsant - Because CBD is a natural anticonvulsant it has the ability to help control seizures, tremors, tics and spasms.
- Anti-Inflammatory - This effect of CBD is believed to be one of the main reason the compound is so useful in treating a wide variety of conditions.
- Reduces Anxiety and Stress - Studies have shown that CBD can help manage the symptoms of a variety of mental conditions, including anxiety.
- Antiemetic - A strong body of evidence has shown that CBD is successful in controlling both nausea and vomiting while also stimulating appetite.
- Anticancer Effects - Studies have shown that CBD can help protect against colon cancer in rats, by stopping the development, growth, and spread of malignant tumors.
- Promotes Homeostasis - Many pet owners choose to use CBD not only as a medicine to treat a specific illness, but also as a regular supplement to promote the overall health and wellbeing of their pet.
In addition to the above list, Ferguson found that after CBD use Duffy sleeps more and is much more relaxed. Digby said he noticed a calming effect on his dog as well, especially during thunderstorms or fireworks which can be a very stressful time for a pet.
CBD products we recommend
Slobberbones located in all of our Chattanooga Ark locations carry a few CBD products. Below is a list that we carry on hand or can order for you.
Whole Pet CBD - Presented by Mary's Nutritionals
Whole Pet Gel Pens
- Quick delivery of pain relief delivered by placing gel pen to the ear of furry friend.
- Mary's patented transdermal gel pen contains 50 1mg doses of activated hemp extract.
- Each dose can last up to 4 hours
Whole Pet Drops Regular or Extra Strength
- Regular: The 300mg potency is designed for pets up to 50 lbs. and provides .5mg per drop.
- Extra Strength: The 900mg potency is designed for pets over 50 lbs. and provides 1.5mg per drop.
- Can be applied to food, a treat or directly to the back of the tongue using the graduated dropper.
- Intended for proactive daily cannabinoid therapy.
- Delicious natural bacon flavor
- Each incur is intended to provide a 30+ day supply
Mary's Whole Pet products are derived from compliant industrial hemp crops harvested in Colorado and audited by the Colorado Department of Agriculture.
Complete Body Daily
Full Spectrum Remedy Hemp Oil
- 500mg - 1ml dropper - 16.65mg.
- Can be used in pets 35 lbs. up to 100+ lbs.
- Works best when placed under the tongue for 30-60 seconds until dissolved.
- Use as a treat or supplement to add to any dog's diet. Dosage can be administered 1-2 times per day or as needed for pain and anxiety relief.
- Can be used in dogs 0-52+ lbs.
Complete Body Daily's Phytocannabinoid Hemp Oil provides a convenient delivery model for the industry's highest quality extract. Our proprietary manufacturing process provides optimum bioavailability to ensure maximum absorption. Remedy oil is produced from Organically Grown Hemp, is non-GMO, and most importantly is manufactured in the USA.
Full Size Blueberry or Turkey Hard Chews (Large or Small)
- Small: Full Spectrum hemp oil chews for pets under 50 lbs.
- Large: Full Spectrum hemp oil chews for pets over 50 lbs.
- Each small blueberry Treativles chew contains 1mg Full Spectrum Hemp Oil.
- Safe and non-toxic
Treatibles products are Compassion Certified, made in the USA from USA-sourced ingredients, and contain quantified milligram levels of Full Spectrum Hemp Oil.
After reading this article about CBD we hope that you now feel knowledgeable with what CBD is, how it works with your pets' body, the benefits of CBD as well as true testimonials from our customers and how CBD has been a lifesaver for their sweet pups. Be sure to check out our CBD products that we have in store at any of our Slobberbones locations. Our front desk Crew will be happy to help answer any additional questions you may have in regard to CBD.