PROTECTING YOUR PETS DURING FIREWORKS
Summer is going by fast and believe it or not it's already the 4th of July. With everyone celebrating good ole America by grilling with friends, pool parties, lake day and of course fireworks. If you have pets i'm sure you have grown to loath the holiday fireworks that go off days before the fourth and continue after. Todays Wellness Wednesday we are focusing on giving you tips on how to protect your pets during holiday fireworks. If you aren't already doing these tips it might be a good idea to try a few tonight.
1. BRING PETS INDOORS - Before you head out for the night its always a good idea to bring your pets indoors. Make them a comfortable place for them to be able to snuggle up with their favorite plush toy or blanket. Having a place where they feel safe and cozy can help them feel more calm when the noisy festivities begin.
2. ID TAGS & MICROCHIPS - Does the sound of fireworks make your dog or cat fun and hide? If this is a common problem it is good to make sure they have current ID tags on and that their microchip information is current. Having these two items will help get your pet home safely if they happen to run away.
3. WRAP THEM UP - Did you know that pets react the same way as babies do when they are swaddled? By limiting their movements by covering them up will help ease their anxiety and in return will keep them more calm.
4. CANABINOIDS - Hemp and Cannabis - based pet products are becoming more mainstream. These products will not get your pets high, but rather aid in many health ad wellness issues. These issue include anxiety, joint pain and arthritis. You can find these products at any of our Slobberbones Bakery & Market locations. We carry Mary's Whole Pet CBD oil and gel pens.
5. KEEP THEM OCCUPIED - If you are staying in during the 4th, then providing distraction for your pet can help keep their mind off of the noise going on outside. Some options for distraction are treats, toys, music or simply playing with them to help keep them busy.
6. STAY WITH YOUR PETS - When your pet is left alone, that is when they are more likely to panic and pace around the house. It's always a good option to have a family member or friend to stay with them for comfort if you are headed out for the night.
So if you are heading out to celebrate Independence day please be sure that your pets are all set for the noisy night that lies ahead for them. And remember when you get home to show them extra TLC because they will need it. Happy 4th of July from all of us at The Ark Pet Spa & Hotel and Slobberbones Bakery & Market.